Skip to main content
Every dollar helps us serve our community.
Click here to see how.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Hotline
- What's the number?
- US: 877-565-8860 / Canada: 877-330-6366
- When can I call?
- The hotline is open 24/7! We have operators guaranteed to be on call during the following hours:
Operators are also frequently available during off-hours - when in doubt, give us a call.
- Hawaii: 5:00am-11:00pm
- Alaska: 6:00am-12:00am
- Pacific: 7:00am-1:00am
- Mountain: 8:00am-2:00am
- Central: 9:00am-3:00am
- Eastern: 10:00am-4:00am
- How is Trans Lifeline different from other hotlines?
- Our Hotline is staffed exclusively by trans operators, and we are the only crisis line with a policy against non-consensual active rescue.
- I can't get through! What do I do?
- We do our very best to keep the line staffed at all times in order to answer all calls, and we’re in the process of implementing systems to increase our capacity. If an operator is not available when you call, please keep calling. All of our callers are important to us, and we will get to you as quickly as we can.
- Will my call be recorded?
- All calls are recorded for quality assurance purposes, but the operator you speak to will only have access to the information that you give them. Call recordings will never be shared outside the organization. We do gather some general data on the needs and challenges our callers face for advocacy purposes, but it is anonymous and untraceable.
- Will you call the police / emergency services on me?
- Trans Lifeline has a policy against non-consensual active rescue, which means we will not call authorities if you tell us you are in danger without your explicit request. See here for a full explanation of our policies regarding mandated reporting.
- What if I'm definitely not trans, but I have a trans loved one?
- We’ve got a resource for that too! Trans Lifeline will soon be releasing our Family Line - for significant others, friends, family and supporters of trans people to call and get support. See here for updates on the launch of the Family Line! In the meantime, please feel free to call our main hotline, and we will get you the support you need.
- How do I volunteer?
- We are always looking for more operators! To volunteer with the Hotline, you must live in the U.S. or Canada, identify as trans/nonbinary/gender non-conforming, and be 18 or older. You’ll also need to have a phone and internet connection you can use at the same time, and a quiet, private place to take calls. If that sounds like you, check out our volunteer application!