Everything You Need to Know About HRT Resources, Microgrants, and Needs Self-Assessment
We believe that trans-affirming health care should be universally accessible, fully covered by insurance companies, with zero out-of-pocket cost to trans people. Until we build that world, we partnered with Folx Health to offer HRT Microgrants for a year’s worth of HRT coverage to 100 trans folks in 2021.
Here’s your guide to those grants, how to self-assess if you should apply, and other resources for accessing HRT if you don’t get a grant this time:
ABOUT HRT MICROGRANTS:
- Thanks to our generous partners, we’re able to offer 24 HRT Microgrants each cycle
- 2021 HRT Microgrant cycles open at 11:00am PT on the following dates:
- Everyone who needs trans care deserves it. We don’t have a committee to determine who is more or less deserving, so applications fill up on a first come, first serve basis – with 75% reserved for BIPOC (see our equity policy)
- Due to our community’s overwhelming need for trans-affirming medical care, the application usually fills up within a few seconds of opening
- Tip: Consider creating a reminder in your calendar for the upcoming cycles to log on when it opens
HOW TO SELF-ASSESS YOUR NEED:
HRT Microgrants are intended for people who have no other way of accessing HRT. 75% of grants are reserved for BIPOC trans folks, because we are disproportionately and structurally left out of economic access to the care and coverage that does exist. We ask that you consider your access to health care when applying for this grant. Here are some questions to consider:
- Are you able to pay for out-of-pocket HRT costs?
- Are you able to access a clinic in your geographic area that offers HRT with informed consent?
- Do you have adequate access to transportation to access a clinic that offers HRT?
- Do you have health insurance coverage?
- If not, do you qualify for Medicaid? Apply by state.
- Do you identify as white?
- If you identify as BIPOC, do you experience white or light-skinned privilege?
If you answered YES to most of these questions, you may consider making space for our trans siblings who mostly answered NO.
HOW CAN I ACCESS HRT IF I’M NOT AN HRT MICROGRANT RECIPIENT?
We exist to support our community in getting the care we all need and deserve. If you need help finding access to HRT, below are some of our favorite resources to get you covered. The resource library on our website contains many more healthcare resources.