The Microgrants Program and Inside Advocacy Program are paused until further notice, as we are unable to distribute microgrants at this time. Trans Lifeline is experiencing a period of financial uncertainty that has forced us to reduce the size and scope of our organization and temporarily pause some of our direct service programs. We are very hopeful that we will be able to resume distributing microgrants once we’ve had the chance to reassess the financial stability of the organization. You can read more about the circumstances that led to this decision here. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time.
Provides commissary money for incarcerated trans people.
Inside Advocacy was initially born out of the need to support trans folks on the inside with material support in the form of commissary funds, which covers the cost of necessities such as hygiene products, stamps to send letters, phone calls, books, and increasing access to resources and support. Offering this support also reminds folks on the inside that people are thinking of them and that they aren’t forgotten. Our program coordinator maintains contact with folks on the inside via letter writing and phone calls.
- $500 microgrant per person per year
- Family, friends, and advocates can apply on behalf of a trans person on the inside
- Apply as needed, as long as funds allow
- An alert will post each year when funds are no longer available
- Identify as transgender and/or nonbinary
- Currently incarcerated in the U.S. (city or county jail, immigration detention, juvenile detention, state or federal prison)
How to apply:
- Send a letter via postal mail requesting a Commissary Microgrant that includes your name, committed name, age, pronouns, inmate ID number, address, payment method, and instructions for deposit to:
548 Market St PMB 15337
San Francisco, CA 94104-5401
- If you are applying on behalf of a loved one, contact Inside Advocacy.